Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cooking from the Garden

The Austin American Statesman just started a new monthly feature on cooking from the garden. The first installment covers basil: Finding cool ways to utilize garden's abundance of basil. It's a very timely article, since my basil in the community garden is flourishing now.

Last week, I made basil pesto, which I served with angel hair pasta. I used the recipe I found here, and it worked great. My google search for a pesto recipe turned up Williams-Sonoma Mastering: Sauces, Salsas & Relishes by Rick Rodgers, Chuck Williams, Mark Thomas, which has been digitized as part of the Google Books project. I especially like that they go over three techniques for pesto production: food processor, blender, and mortar and pestle ("pesto" comes from "pestle").

Anyone else have some good recipes for what our garden is now producing?

No comments: